Travel Diaries: Salzburg

About six years ago, I wrote a blog post about what was on my Travel Bucket List and one of the places that has been on that list ever since I was little had been Salzburg. I had always wanted to go because my favourite musical The Sound of Music is set and filmed on location there and I had always wanted to see and explore the place where this was filmed. This year, while on a two-week-long inter-railing trip across Europe, I got to spend two days in this beautiful city! I wanted to share all my main points of interest while on this trip.



📍Mirabell Palace Gardens

This was a place that I was very excited and keen to see as parts of the song 'Doh-Re-Mi' were filmed here. The gardens were lovely and we were lucky to be there on such a nice, sunny day. There were a few water features, pretty flower arrangements and plenty of places to sit and take in the views.


📍Linke Altstadt

This was Salzburg's old town. I love old towns and their cobblestoned streets and charm. There were lots of things to see here such as plenty of shops (my boyfriend particularly enjoyed 'Cheese and More' as they gave out free samples of small cubes of cheese!) There was a cute looking Christmas shop which I loved of course. There were plenty of places to eat traditional Austrian foods as well as places to get ice creams which I loved. I really love old towns and their narrow streets and pretty shop fronts. It was all very colourful as well which was so lively, especially in the sun.


📍Stift Nonnberg

The Abbey where 'Maria' was sung in the movie. The walk to get there was lovely and there were some great views on the way. We didn't go into the actual Abbey itself but it was really cool to see from the outside. Again, I was excited because I could recognise it from The Sound of Music.


📍Hellbrunn Palace

This was one of my favourite places to visit because the palace itself was stunning but so were the grounds where it is located. We took the bus from the town to get here and the journey itself was so nice too because again there were so many pretty sights to see along the way. Here was where the Sound of Music Pavilion was located - the gazebo where 'Sixteen Going on Seventeen' was sung which was so surreal to see in real life.



📍Schloss Leopoldskron

This was something I really wanted to see because it was used as exterior shots for the house in the movie. The walk to see it was so pretty too, there was a lake as well as mountain views. To actually see the building closer up or see inside, you had to be a resident in the hotel - of which I wasn't - but I felt so lucky that I still got to see the side of the building that I had been hoping to see which was the back that overlooks out onto the lake. Plus the walk to get there made it all the more better by being such a nice walk.



📍Residenzplatz

This square was in the historic centre of Salzburg. There was ice cream shops, people playing live music and just a general nice atmosphere and ambiance about the place that I really enjoyed. It was nice to just stroll along and take in the sights in the sunshine.



I'd love to go back to Salzburg again and do the Sound of Music tour! As well as to see more places round about since it was such a lovely place to visit and explore. The public transport was great for getting around too which made seeing lots of places easier. But even if you're not a fan of The Sound of Music, Salzburg is just a lovely place in general to visit and explore and walk around. I had the best time while I was there.

Have you ever been to Salzburg before?

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts