Sasha Alex Sloan Concert

On the 10th of October, I went to see Sasha Alex Sloan live at the SWG3 in Glasgow and I had such an amazing time that I wanted to dedicate a whole blog post to it as a way to remember that night!

Sasha Alex Sloan is an American singer/songwriter who's style is described as Indie-Pop. She has written songs for many famous artists including Katy Perry, Camila Cabello and John Legend to name a few. 

I first heard of Sasha Alex Sloan in 2020 after seeing her song 'House With No Mirrors' through a promoted post on Instagram. Her debut album 'Only Child' really got me through those tougher last few months of 2020/the lockdown at the time. When I first heard that album, I had not long started my final year of university, which was being held online via zoom, and I wasn't doing too great mentally (was anyone at that time though??😄) and for a few weeks I would often wake up pretty early in the mornings and the first thing I would was listen to Sasha's 'Only Child' album.

This is why I was so excited for the release of her second album 'I Blame The World' which came out in May this year. Of course I loved the album straight away and would play it on repeat. While scrolling through Instagram in June, I saw a post where she had put out tour dates for Europe and saw that Glasgow was on the list. I didn't really seriously consider buying tickets because I basically talked myself out of it - "the concerts on a work night", "it's standing only and I'm small so I probably won't have a good view", "it'll be too crowded and I'll feel too anxious" etc, etc! But I had told my brother about it anyway because I just thought it was pretty cool that she was coming to Glasgow at all.

Flash forward to June 27th - my Birthday - when what did I receive? None other than tickets to the concert! My brother, knowing how much I love Sasha's music, decided to just go ahead and get me tickets since I wasn't brave enough to just do it myself😄 He got two and said I could take anyone but I wanted to take him because he loves her music too plus it would be a good way to say thanks to him for the tickets.

My two favourite Birthday presents ^

Suddenly it's October 10th and the day of the concert! I left work as soon as I could and quickly went home to change and then head to the train station. My brother had uni that day so I could just meet him in Glasgow. We got a quick dinner at Burger King and then made our way to SWG3 via subway and then a ten minute walk. We arrived about 45 minutes early so that queue wasn't too long and the time passed fairly quickly that before I even knew it, we were hand-stamped and in!

I feel that we were actually really lucky because we got standing spots at the second row from the front which actually worked out as well as it could because although I would have loved to have a complete unobstructed view of the stage, I also had a slight fear at the possibility of a microphone being thrust in my face and expected to sing the lyrics through the microphone for all t0 hear😄 (which didn't actually happen anyway but you can never really know!)

Slimdan was opening - a childhood friend and co-songwriter of Sasha. He definitely gained a fan that night! I'd never heard any of his songs before but I really enjoyed them all (especially 'MVP' and 'Magazines').

Then the main event - Sasha Alex Sloan herself! She had a throat infection which meant she couldn't sing the higher pitched parts of her song, but she still did waaaay better than I could ever dream of doing! She sounded amazing. She looked my way a few times which was very exciting but of course every time she did, I practically forgot her lyrics!😄 During her song 'Is It Just Me?' she pointed straight at my brother which was so cool.

There were songs that I hadn't listened to before (my favourites being 'Keep On' and 'Thoughts') which was also great because it meant I had all the joy of hearing a song for the first time live. She also played many other songs I loved.

 

Overall, it was a brilliant night and to top things off, I even bought a merch t-shirt! It was definitely one of my favourite concerts I'd ever been to. I'm so glad my brother got me the ticket to see her and that all of the things I had worried about really didn't matter at all in the end. I had a good place to stand, I didn't feel too crowded, the concert actually started and ended at a great time which meant I was back home for a decent time and was feeling absolutely fine at work the next day. In fact, it was the memories from the night before that kept me going😄

What's a concert that you've been to and loved?

Bye for now, xo


Comments

Popular Posts