Finishing First Year of Teaching

I can't quite believe that it's now September and this is  my first blog post since January! I fully hadn't intended on not blogging but life became quite full on for a while and then I just lost the inspiration/motivation to create blog posts - which was quite a shame really as blogging has been one of my favourite little past times. This was a post I had been meaning to write for quite a while but as more time passes, the harder I found it to just get back into it all. So here we go now, it's finally time!

As I mainly blog for myself (if others see/relate to my posts then that's just an added bonus😄) and like reading back on my old posts, I thought it was only fitting to write about my experience as a Newly Qualified Primary Teacher. I used blogging to help get me through university and now that that time in my life is over, I still want to continue to write about all my little thoughts as I muddle my way through the start of my adult life. 


My first year of teaching has been an interesting one. I started back in August 2021 with COVID-19 restrictions still in place. Masks were worn, windows were open, social distancing was still technically in place. I was to teach a composite primary 4/5/6 class which felt a little daunting to begin with. The first few months were full of planning and trying to work out how to actually do all of the things teachers are supposed to do. University doesn't really fully prepare you for all of the roles and responsibilities you're supposed to take on as the full class teacher. Having a mentor was definitely a massive help. I didn't have to stress about everything by myself, I had someone I could go to for anything. Something I had to really learn and accept along the way was that it's really okay to ask for help when it's needed and that it's okay to not get everything right straight away. Mistakes were made this year but it's all a part of the learning experience.

I had to continually remind myself that it was only my first year and that things weren't going to go perfectly or smoothly. This year has been full of ups and downs. I cried a few times in front of other members of staff - including the headteacher - and I constantly worried about coming across as professional. I definitely took myself way too seriously this year and that leaked through into my teaching. I sometimes became the kind of teacher I wouldn't have liked in school. There were times where I felt so out of my depth and that I was just winging it and hoping for the best.

I also found it quite difficult to find a balance between work and life. My weekends were spent getting things organised for the week ahead and I was busy with different things almost every night. Sometimes things would come up in the week and plans would have to be changed which was something I realised I had to quickly adapt to and accept.

Although things could be tough at times, there were of course times where things went really well and that i actually felt as though I was making a difference. I had quite a tough class last year but that made it all the more rewarding when things did go well. I also had to be mindful of the fact that this was the first proper year back in a classroom for the kids in almost two years and that the children themselves had to adjust to a lot.

At the end of the year, I had pupils write about their time in primary 4/5/6 and they all had such lovely things to say which really just filled me with so much love and joy for the year we had shared together. 

I got really lucky with the school I was in. It was full of supportive staff and management who I felt really took care of me and welcomed me into their school. Overall, I've had a really positive first year of teaching and have learned a lot - as well as realised that I still have a lot to learn and that's okay too.

I'm looking forward to the future and hope to continue trying my hardest to be a good teacher and positive role model for the pupils I work with.

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts