Top 5: Favourite Songs From Musicals

I've loved musicals ever since I was little. There's just something about them that find so endearing and wonderful😄. A couple of years ago, I wrote a blog post on my top 5 favourite musicals and recently I was listening to a musical songs playlist which got me thinking about what my top 5 favourite songs from musicals would be - hence the reason for this blog post. 


1. 'Sixteen Going On Seventeen' from The Sound of Music
 'The Sound of Music' will forever have a special place in my heart. Both my Gran and my Grannie love this movie - it's both their favourite musical and it's probably my all time favourite too if I'm honest. 'Sixteen Going On Seventeen' is a song which I love from this musical (as well as the dancing in the little gazebo and Liesl's dress😄).
 
2. 'The Surrey With The Fringe On Top' from Oklahoma!
 'Oklahoma!' is another classic, older musical which I love. It was on on Boxing Day last year and a couple of years before there was a BBC Proms version which came on on Christmas Day. I think I associate the whole musical with the magic of Christmas time which makes it feel that even more special to watch😄. I feel like I can't even fully explain why this song is one of my top 5 favourites - it's not one of the main, leading songs of the movie, nor would it be the one most people would associate with this musical (I don't think), for me it's more the memories and feelings that this song stirs up making that the main reason why I love it.

3. 'Still Hurting' from The Last Five Years
 I watched 'The Last Five Years' for the first time last year on the car ride home from France. I hadn't heard of the musical before spotting it on Amazon Prime and only downloaded it because I saw it starred Anna Kendrick (who I'm a big fan of) so I thought I'd give it a go. I thought it was a brilliant musical and I really liked how the story was told: from the perspective of the two main love-leads, Cathy (Anna Kendrick) and Jamie (Jeremy Jordan),  where Cathy's story is told in reverse chronological order and Jame's is told chronologically from the beginning, which I found really interesting. My favourite song was 'Still Hurting' which is the first song in the movie and sung by Cathy. It was made all the more amazing after I discovered that Anna Kendrick had sung it live within the movie (as many of the songs were in this musical) and the emotion that was displayed throughout was enchanting to watch.

4. 'Dead Mom' from Beetlejuice
 This was a song which I had initially discovered on my instagram explore page before I even knew there was a musical based off of 'Beetlejuice'. The first version of this song I heard was a live version and it was amazing, Sophia Anne Caruso is very talented. I wish there had been a way to watch the full version of this musical somewhere because I would have really liked to have seen it.


5. 'Seventeen' from Heathers
I can't even remember how I first came across this musical, but it was completely by accident and I loved it straight away. I watched the Rock River Repertory Theatre Company version on YouTube (because it was the only full version of the musical) and I thought it was great! I then found the Off-Broadway album on Spotify and loved the music even more.

What are your favourite songs from musicals?

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts