2020 Reading List

Last year I wrote a blog post about my 2019 reading list because I had re-discovered my love for reading and wanted to ensure I kept it up throughout the year. I managed to read almost all of the books on that list (with lots of extra ones thrown in too) and so this year I thought I'd share my list of books I'd like to try and read this year whenever I can find the time to.
Where The Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens
For years rumours of the 'Marsh Girl' have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home. Then the time comes when she yearns to be loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life - until the unthinkable happens.


I'm currently reading (and loving) this book at the moment. I had seen this book mentioned a couple of times and I was gifted it for Christmas. I'm really enjoying the story so far and the way in which it is told.

***
The Truth About Keeping Secrets - Savannah Brown
Sydney's dad is the only psychiatrist for miles around their small Ohio town. He is also unexpectedly dead. Is Sydney crazy, or is it kind of weird that her dad - a guy whose entire job revolved around other peoples' secrets - crashed alone, with no explanation? And why is June Copeland, the town's golden child, at his funeral? As the two girls grow closer in the wake of the accident, it's clear that not everyone is happy about their new friendship. But what is picture perfect June still hiding? And does Sydney even want to know?

I know they say "never judge a book by its cover" but it was the cover of this book that I was drawn to in the first place and after reading the synopsis at the back, it also sounded like one that I think I might enjoy reading.

***

The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris
In April 1942, Lale Sokolov was transported by cattle train to Auschwitz, imprisoned, as were millions of others, for being born Jewish. He was given the task of tattooing numbers onto his fellow victims' arms to create what would become one of the most potent symbols of the Holocaust. Waiting in line, shaking with terror, was a young woman called Gita. For Lale - full of life, even in this place of death - it was love at first sight. He was determined that he would not only survive, but that Gita would too.


This year I have decided to try and read more books that I perhaps normally wouldn't choose in order to widen my book knowledge. 'The Tattooist of Auschwitz' is based on true events which could provide for a harrowing read, but it's definitely near the top of my list of books to read this year.

***

Pet Sematary - Stephen King
The road in front of Dr. Louis Creed's rural Maine home frequently claims the lives of neighbourhood pets. Louis has recently moved with his wife, their children and pet cat. Near their house, local children have created a cemetery for the dogs and cats killed by the steady stream of transports on the busy highway. Deeper in the woods lies another graveyard, an ancient Indian burial ground whose sinister properties Louis discovers when the family cat is killed.


I read Stephen King's 'Doctor Sleep' last year (the sequel to 'The Shining' - which I actually feel I enjoyed more than The Shining) and it made me want to read more of King's books and 'Pet Semetary' is one I've heard a lot about.

***

On The Come Up - Angie Thomas
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. Or at least make it out of her neighbourhood one day. As the daughter of an underground rap legend who died before he hit big, Bri’s got big shoes to fill. But now that her mom has unexpectedly lost her job, food banks and shutoff notices are as much a part of Bri’s life as beats and rhymes. With bills piling up and homelessness staring her family down, Bri no longer just wants to make it—she has to make it.


I've read 'The Hate U Give' by the same author (highly recommend if you've not read it) and I loved it a lot so I'm really looking forward to reading this book.

***

1984 - George Orwell
Hidden away in the Record Department of the sprawling Ministry of Truth, Winston Smith skilfully rewrites the past to suit the needs of the Party. Yet he inwardly rebels against the totalitarian world he lives in, which demands absolute obedience and controls him through the all-seeing telescreens and the watchful eye of Big Brother, symbolic head of the Party. In his longing for truth and liberty, Smith begins a secret love affair with a fellow-worker Julia, but soon discovers the true price of freedom is betrayal.


This is a book that I have wanted to read for a while. Back when I was in high school, we read George Orwell's short story 'A Hanging' which I had initially paid little attention to until we started going through it all and what it meant. During a discussion on the short story, our teacher at the time had mentioned the famous '1984' and I was intrigued to know what it was about. My brother bought the book last year so I'm hoping this will be the year I finally get around to reading it.

***

City of Glass - Cassandra Clare
Amid the chaos of war, shadowhunters must decide to fight with the vampires, werewolves and other Downworlders - or against them. Meanwhile, Jace and Clary have their own decision to make; should they pursue the love they know is forbidden.

I've tried to read all of this series of books in the past but I feel this was because I had been trying to read all of the books one after the other (as in as soon as I finished one book, I would go straight to the next book in the series). I think this is why I almost got bored of the storyline and forgot what was actually going on in the plot. I re-read the first two at different points throughout last year and I enjoyed them so I'm going to read this third book at some point this year as I feel, for me, when I read series of books spaced out throughout the year(s), I'm more likely to take in the story and enjoy it more.

***

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter faces a seemingly impossible task. He will not return to Hogwarts for his seventh year; instead he will finish the quest started by Albus Dumbledore. He must hunt down and destroy Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes. Only then will he be able to rid the world of the Dark Lord's shadow once and for all. 


I started reading the Harry Potter books in 2013 and had initially unintentionally been making my way through the books reading one every year. Once I realised I was doing this, I decided to stick to it, reading the next book in the series every year - almost as though waiting for a new book to be released every year, since I never actually read them when I was younger. Now that its 2020, its finally time for the last book! I've watched and loved all of the Harry potter movies so I'm looking forward to reading the last book.

***

Books from last years reading list that I didn't read but will try to this year:
Noughts + Crosses - Malorie Blackman
After The Fire - Will Hill

Are there any books you'd like to read this year?

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts