What I Wanted To Be When I Grew Up


When we’re younger, pretty much anything seems possible. You’ve got the rest of your ahead to plan out what you want to be when you’re older, so when you’re younger it’s fun to think of all the possibilities of the far further.

 I’m in university, soon to be in my third year, and on track to my future career. It’s made me think back on all of the things I had wanted to be growing up so I thought I’d make a little list of them and share them on my blog!


Nature Photographer 
I’ve always loved photography and taking photos but when I was a little younger, I wanted to be one of those photographers who got to go to exotic places to photograph nature and wildlife, like those photographers who take pictures for national geographic. I love animals and wanted to showcase as many species as possible to spread all the animal love. 


Guitarist in a band/musician 
I’ve been playing the guitar for around ten years now (I just sat and worked that out there and I’m actually shocked that I’ve been playing for that long... that’s me been playing for half of my life now... I’ll have an existential crisis about this later, anyway back to the blog post😂). When I was about 11years old, I watched the movie Bandslam and it had immediately made me want to start a cool band or join one. And so when I started getting not too bad at playing the guitar I was always like “yes! This is what I want to do with my life!” Because I loved how I felt when I played guitar. This then moved on to me wanting to become a musician. I wanted to write and sing songs that would inspire people or make people happy. Music has helped me through all life’s little troubles and I had wanted to create music that would do the same for others. I have a lot of unfinished songs that I’ve written, but I don’t think they’ll ever be getting performed any time soon. My dream of becoming a guitarist/musician kind of faded away when I discovered that my little shy self had a massive case of stage fright (who’d have guessed that one????😄) and also the fact I can’t actually sing kind of put an end to that dream. I’ll just stick to playing guitar in my bedroom!


Cinematographer
Being a huge lover of movies, I had wanted to work in the film industry when I was younger. At first I wanted to be an actress, but as I got a little older and learned of just how many different people it actually takes to make a movie - seriously, have you ever sat through the full end credits of a movie before? No wonder they last ages with the amount of different people it takes to actually make a movie and put every little detail together! - I really wanted to be the person who captures the film and bring to life the visions of a director. Working behind the scenes on a movie just seems like it would be pretty cool - but in reality would probably be pretty stressful. 


Movie star
This was definitely one of those “out there” dreams that even as a kid I knew would never happen, but it was fun to imagine what it would be like.  I really liked the idea of working on a movie (or a tv show) that people would watch whenever they were having a not so good day/to take their mind off of anything that was troubling them. I’ve never wanted to become famous (I definitely don’t think I could handle that😅) I just wanted to make as many people in the world at least a little happier and I thought being in a movie could help me to do that because I’d be reaching a wider audience. I also love watching movie bloopers/behind the scenes footage and that was also a factor in wanting to become a movie star because it looked like a lot of fun. 


Author
I’ve always loved to write and when I was younger I’d write lots of stories and poems. I also used to (and still do) like to read a lot; I loved getting lost in another world and trying to picture it all in my head. Some books would really make me think and inspire me in many ways and I wanted to write a book that would inspire people/get them thinking about something in other ways, or in ways they hadn’t considered before. I had also wanted to make a book full of poems too. This is still something I’d maybe like to do, not as a full time job or anything; but I would quite like to write at least a short book. 


Something that involves working with/taking care of animals 
I’ve never really wanted to be a vet necessarily, but I had wanted to do something that would involve animals. When I was about 12, I watched a documentary about orphaned kangaroos and how a man had opened up a special kangaroo sanctuary and he took care of them like he was the mother kangaroo. I loved this and how he was helping all those baby kangaroos and it made me want to start up my own animal sanctuary for any kinds of orphaned animals. 

Like I said at the beginning of this post, I’m in university on track to a career; I’m working towards getting a degree in teaching in primary education (children aged 4/5 - 11/12). I’ve helped out in various primary schools and this really is something that I’d like to do with my life. It may not seem as exciting as my childhood dream jobs, but every job can be exciting in its own way if it is something you want to do. I’m looking forward to what the future will have in store. 

It’s nice to have dreams of different jobs when we’re younger, and I’m sure many people will go on to achieve their childhood dream jobs. My childhood dream jobs just didn’t turn out to be the ones I truly wanted to do.

What were your dream jobs when you were younger?

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts