My Life Through Music


As I’m sure everyone who reads my blog knows, I’m a huge lover of music. I think music is so powerful and life without it would make things pretty boring at times. 

I always associate songs and artists or certain albums to specific parts of my life so I thought I’d share just some of them here on my blog and create a timeline of sorts of the music and artists I’ve listened to at different points in my life. 

Queen - ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ (4/5 years old)
One Christmas when I was about four or five, on a visit to a Santa’s grotto, I was given a mini portable cassette tape player as a present (shown below). It still works to this day and I bring it out at Christmas time to annoy everyone since the only tape I now have left is a Christmas songs one. 
As my dad had a huge tape collection at that time, he told me that I had asked if he could pick out a good tape that I could listen to in my tape player (because apparently I seemed to think that my two nursery rhyme ones I had weren’t good enough for meπŸ˜‚). He gave me Queen’s ‘A Night At The Opera’ and fast forwarded the tape until it got to the Bohemian Rhapsody track which is probably where my love for Queen originally came from. I can remember playing that song over and over in my little tape player at night. I really wish I knew what happened to that tape, it’s gone but the memories of it remainπŸ˜„. 

McFly - ‘Five Colours In Her Hair’ (5/6 years old)
This song played at all the Birthday parties when I was around 5 and 6 years old. I had a bouncy castle party for my 6th birthday and as soon as this song came on, everyone ran around jumping and screaming along with it. It seemed to be on all the kids party CD’s at that time too. Every time I listen to this song now, I’m brought straight back to all the fun and madness of a 6 year olds birthday party b

ABBA - ‘Dancing Queen’ (7 years old)
I remember this song coming on one time when I was at my granny’s house and I was trying to sing along and had genuinely thought the lyrics were “feel the beat from the tangerine, oh yeah” instead of tambourine which everyone thought was hilarious. I had refused to believe that I was wrong and thought everyone else was just mishearing the lyrics. 

S Club 7 - ‘Reach’ (7 years old)
This is one of the first songs I remember fully trying to make and effort to learn all of the lyrics to. I loved it!

Avril Lavigne - ‘Let Go’ (album) (8 years old)
When I was about 8 years old, I had to go for an MRI scan. Before going for the scan, I was given a sheet with a list of lots of albums on it (because you listen to music while getting the scan). I had been wearing a High School Musical 2 T-shirt and that album happened to be on the list so of course the nurse was like “oh! I think already know what you’re going to pick!” Little did she know that as much as I loved High School Musical, my love for Avril Lavigne ran deeper. (I discovered April almost by accident - I’d gotten a Bratz magazine and her poster was in it. I didn’t know who she was at that point but I thought she looked cool, and so I got my dad to put the poster up for me. It was my dad who’d said “I didn’t know you were an Avril fan” to which I replied “who?” My dad gave me her ‘Let Go’ album to listen to and I immediately loved her music). The ‘Let Go’ album was on the music list and so that was what I picked. I remember feeling scared about the MRI itself but as soon as the first track ‘Losing Grip’ started to play, I immediately relaxed. 

Lynyrd Skynyrd - ‘Simple Man’ & ‘Free Bird’ (9 years old)
When I was nine, my family and I went to France for the first time together. We drove the whole way there so of course we had a variety of different music playing but what was played most was Lynyrd Skynyrd music. The two songs that always stick out in my mind from that time are ‘Simple Man’ and ‘Free Bird’. Lots of their music played but these are the two main songs I remember my dad kept playing and we all sang the songs together while in the car. 

Miley Cyrus - ‘Breakout’ (album) (9 years old)
The same year we travelled to France listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd in the car was the same year I was obsessed with Miley Cyrus’ album ‘Breakout’. My brother and I put it on on the CD player that was in the house we were staying in and cranked up the volume so that it could be heard outside. In the place we had been staying at that year, there was a sort of little platform type bit just outside the house which my brother and I pretended was a stage and we put on our own concert using the songs from this album. 

Aly & AJ - ‘Like Woah’ & ‘Potential Breakup Song’ (9/10 years old)
I remember these songs were my go to ones whenever I had sleepovers. My primary school best friend and I would always put on mini concerts for her mum and these were the two songs we always sang every time. 

Taylor Swift - ‘Fearless’ (album) (12-14 years old)
This album honestly got me through those early teen yearsπŸ˜„ This album had songs which helped me through fallouts with friends, the heartbreak of crushes, the not so great days and the best days. I used to listen to this album every night as I went to sleep. Now whenever I can’t sleep I’ll play this album and then I’m asleep almost straight away. I love Taylor’s more country sounding songs and her earlier music is definitely my favourite. 

Simple Plan - ‘Don’t You (Forget About Me)’ (15 years old)
When I was 15, I watched ‘The Breakfast Club’ for the first time. I had wanted to watch it every since I saw Pitch Perfect because that movie made references to it and one time, when I had been watching Pitch Perfect with my mum, I had mentioned how it made me want to watch The Breakfast Club and she told me that she had it on DVD (something I hadn’t known up until then). Of course through watching the film, I got to hear the iconic song ‘Don’t You (Forget About Me)’. It became my mum and I’s song. We would always play it first if we ever went out anywhere in the car and I’ve got so many memories of my mum dancing and singing along, enjoying the mini drum solo.

The Girl and The Dreamcatcher - ‘Written In The Stars’ (15 years old)
I remember this song came out about an hour before I had to go to school one morning and I watched the full music video just before heading out to meet up with my friend to walk to school and it was stuck in my head for the full day (and then the rest of that weekπŸ˜„). I’ve loved this song ever since. 

Stereophonics - ‘Keep The Village Alive’ (album) (16 years old)
In the summer, whenever my family and I would have BBQs when the weather was nice, it was always this album we had playing. Every song on this album now reminds me of summer time, especially summer evenings. 

Guns N’ Roses - All of their songs (16/17 years old)
In 2016/17 I went through a phase of pretty much only listening to Guns N’ Roses songs which is why I can’t pinpoint any specific songs. I had heard ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ plenty of times in the past but I’d never actually seen the band behind the song. One day my dad had shown me the music video, which I had never actually seen before, and I was immediately drawn to the look of the band. I thought they looked so cool and I wanted to watch more of their music videos. I then fell pretty much in love with the band and their music. For my birthday that year, my brother got me DVD’s of Guns N’ Roses concerts which I watched on repeat that summer.

Bon Jovi - ‘Living on a Prayer’ (17 years old)
This song played at my prom and as soon as the band started it up, everyone ran to the dance floor, even people who hadn’t really wanted to dance at all that night. I remember screaming out this song at the top of my lungs surrounded by all my closest friends as well as other classmates. It was such a great moment. Prom itself was expensive and overrated but that moment made it all worth itπŸ˜„

Pink Floyd - ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ (Album) (18 years old)
This was an album I listened not too long after I started uni. It was during the time I was having a tough time settling into uni life and was really just not enjoying myself. My dad and I had been to see the Australian Pink Floyd band live in the October of that year and so after being at that concert I started listening to Pink Floyd albums while on the train to and from uni. The one I always mainly chose to listen to was the ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ album. That album helped me through the tough time of starting uni. My favourite songs on the album are probably ‘Time’ and ‘Eclipse’. 

Queen - ‘Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Soundtrack’ (19 years old)
Since I watched the film when both my brother and I were on study leave together, this was the album we played a lot. We’d have it blasting while making iced coffees in the kitchen. I have so many random dance videos on my phone of the songs playing and my brother and I being stupidπŸ˜„

Scotty Sire - 'What's Going On' (Album) (20 years old)
This album has been a very recent addition and I wasn't even going to include it in this post (honestly solely for the fact that I liked that this post had started on Queen's music and was ending with Queen's musicπŸ˜„) but since starting back at uni, this album has been pretty much the only one I've been listening to on the train journeys and so I had to include it in this post. I've mentioned Scotty's music in previous posts and I've been loving his new album. 

There’s been so so many more songs that have really stood out at certain points in my life but I thought I’d try to narrow it down to the main ones otherwise this post would go on forever and it’s already pretty long as it is so if you’ve made it to this point, thank you for listening to my musical ramblingsπŸ˜„

What songs stick out for you from your life?

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts