Travel Diaries: Bastille Celebrations in St. Hilaire & Avranches



While in France, I went to two different Bastille Day fireworks displays. The first was held in St. Hilaire on the 13th of July (the day before actual Bastille Day) and the other was in Avranches on the 14th of July (actual Bastille Day).

I got a new camera for my Birthday which had a specific firework setting which I found so cool (it's been years since I've gotten a new camera and there's so many features on my new one that have probably been around for a while now but I was impressed by it all nonetheless😄). The camera used is a Sony DSCWX350 Digital Compact Camera. This is what I took all of the firework pictures on.


St.Hilaire
The festivities started at around seven o'clock. At this time, there was a little market set out with various different stalls selling items from little knick-knacks, clothes, bags and food. The fireworks display itself was due to start at eleven.

I arrived in St. Hilaire at 8.30pm. I had a look around the market stalls and ended up at one of the food trucks where I got a crepe with sugar. There was also chips, sausages, waffles and many other foods and drinks available on offer.

After spending some time wandering around the little market, I then went to find a spot to sit on on the grass around the little lake where the display was going to go off. While waiting for the display to start, there was music playing out of speakers (lots of Pink Floyd was playing so I was enjoying myself😄). Just before the fireworks went off, a local samba band played some music for everyone to enjoy.

When the fireworks went off, they went off in time to music. A lot of French songs were played during this and although this meant I didn't know what the songs were about, I still enjoyed them. It was a really brilliant display that. lasted about half an hour






After the firework display, everyone made their way back to where the market had been set up. Here there was a live band playing covers of lots of different songs. This was really fun to watch and listen to. One song that they played was called 'La Même' which i had never heard before but everyone sang along with this. My brother and I found it again (almost by accident) once we came home and we love it😄. It's fun and reminds me of France every time I now listen to it which I love.



Avranches
The second fireworks display I went to was in Avranches. Before the display, there was a live band playing covers of different songs (mostly rock songs). There was also a little tent selling drinks and food. 

There was a large grassy area in which to find a place to sit to watch the display. The display itself was really good and also lasted around half an hour.






This was the Bastille celebrations I went to and enjoyed this year. I'd definitely go to the same displays again if I'm ever back but I'd also love to see a Bastille firework display in Paris too!

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts