First Time At A Music Festival

On the 25th of August, I went to Summer Sessions in Glasgow. The Glasgow Summer Sessions was held in Bellahouston Park in the Southside of Glasgow in Scotland.
Myself and a group of my friends all made our way into Glasgow late morning. We had booked a hotel to stay in after the festival as by the time all the acts had finished, it would have been too late to make the last train home. This meant that there was no rush to leave and we could also go out afterwards.

On the day I went, The 1975 were headlining. The other artists playing were Twin Atlantic; You Me At Six; Pale Waves; Ten Tonnes; and No Rome. By the time we had checked into out hotel and had some lunch, we arrived too late to see the first two artists (No Rome and Ten Tonnes) but it was fine, we weren't too fussed about it. 

To get to Bellahouston Park, we went on one of the shuttle busses that were running specifically to take people to the festival. It was called the "Happy Bus" and the ride lasted about twenty minutes. It took us straight to the entrance which made it all really smooth and easy.

I had initially been quite nervous about going because the whole experience was something I'd never done before and  also because I don't really like huge, crowded places. Because of this, I felt I didn't quite fully relax and 100% enjoy myself until nearer the end. It was still a brilliant day though, I just think it would have been that tiny bit better if I had felt more chilled out and comfortable before I went and while I was there. However, I was determined to have a good time and to just go with the flow a bit.

The weather was great on the day. It was so sunny and warm outside which I was so glad for as I had planned my outfit weeks in advance and it pretty much relied on nice weather as I didn't want to have to wear a jacket the full time. It had been raining on the days leading up to the festival so I had been a little worried that it was going to be muddy but there was lots of straw/hay laid out all over the field - there were still muddy patches but it wasn't too bad. 

There were lots of different tents surrounding the outside selling food and drinks as well as a merch tent. There were also a lot of portacabin toilets which weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be (thankfully though I only had to use them once😄). There were also little water stations where you could refill your water bottle which I thought was really good.

The Music
My favourite artists of the night had been You Me At Six, Twin Atlantic and The 1975. Before going to the festival, I hadn't really listened to any of the bands music (apart from The 1975) but now after going, I've been listening to all of their music almost non stop😄 That's something I now love about going to see bands I don't really listen to - it helps me to discover new music.

You Me At Six were brilliant! The frontman Josh Franceschi was really great at getting the full crowd engaged. Everyone was singing along

Twin Atlantic were also great at getting the crowd involved especially when frontman Sam McTrusty jumped into the crowd and partially crowd surfed while encouraging people in the audience to try it too. With the band being from Glasgow themselves, I think many people in the crowd were very excited to see them and they brought such energy with them, perhaps because they were back on home ground. I loved that they sang in their Scottish accents too.

Of course, the night had to go to headliners The 1975. 
They gathered the largest crowd I had seen all day and I was actually doing okay with it. It had been at a nice level of crowdedness all day but just before The 1975 came to the stage, it suddenly got even busier. As they played right at the end, I was feeling a lot more comfortable and the large crowd even got me excited for the band. I had seen The 1975 perform before back in 2016 so I had been looking forward to hearing them live again and they did not disappoint. I love their stage setup and the design and look they have created for their live shows.

My back/feet might've gotten sore from all the standing and I might have but overall, it was a really great day that I got to experience with my closest friends. It's definitely something I would do again, or even go to another music festival!

bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts