20 Things I've Learned In 20 Years

Today I turned 20. 

That’s so weird! I can’t even really believe that I’m now taking the first step into my twenties. I’m no longer a teen and yet I still don’t always feel like an adult. I know that you age constantly and at the end of the day being 20 isn’t really that much different from being 19 but at the moment it just seems so odd, I don’t really know how to explain it. So, instead of having an existential crisis over being another year older, I’ve decided to write a post about 20 of the many tons of things I have learned in 20 years. (20!! years!! I swear I was entering teenage-hood just the other day...😄 )

(Image taken from online - all credit to the rightful owners)

  1. Things in life have ways of working out in the end.
  2. Having good friends who truly love and care about you and have your best interests at heart are definitely needed. 
  3. Spending time with family and friends is so important. Always make the time. 
  4. It’s okay to have not so good days, it helps you to appreciate the good days even more. Remember that nothing lasts forever, even though there may be times where you feel like the weight of the world is pressing down on you, hard times do eventually pass. Unfortunately can’t go through life without having tough times. 
  5. Being shy/ socially awkward & anxious doesn’t define who you are as a person. 
  6. It’s okay to put yourself first. There’s nothing to feel bad about if you do. Sometimes you really need to do the things that are best for you. Your feelings are just as valid and important as anyone else’s. 
  7. Never compare where you are at this stage in your life to where others your age are. Everyone is different and everyone goes through life at different paces. 
  8. Change is inevitable and change can be scary. But that’s okay and it’s okay to feel scared of things in life changing. 
  9. Always try to step out of your comfort zone. But never feel you have to. If something is just too much, it’s okay to say no. Don’t push yourself too hard. 
  10. What other people think of you ultimately doesn’t really matter, what matters more is what you think of yourself. 
  11. It is important to be kind to yourself as well as to others. 
  12. Always choose to do more of the things that make you happy. 
  13. It’s okay to make mistakes, you are human after all. But it is also important to learn from mistakes and to grow from them. 
  14. You’re never as alone as you may feel. Other people will be feeling the same and there is always at least one person you can go to with your feelings. 
  15. Always appreciate the little things and moments in life. 
  16. Worrying is a waste of time and energy. Even though your rational side knows this, your irrational side ignores this completely and so you can’t help but worry. But try your hardest not to let little things worry you. 
  17. Plan ahead and work towards achieving your goals for the future but also remember to stay in the present. Life is happening right now. Focus on the now and stop waiting for / worrying about the future. 
  18. Live your life for yourself and not for other people. This is important. 
  19. Sometimes laughter really can be the best medicine. 
  20. There’s still so much more to learn in life, you don’t need to have everything all figured out right now. 

I’m only 20. I’ve still got the whole rest of my life ahead of me to muddle through as best I can. The first 20 years of my life have been pretty great overall. I wonder what the next 20 will bring ... I'm not even going to think that far into the future, I'm going to live in the moment and take life as it comes.

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts