Movies To Watch This October

Autumn is well and and truly under way and with that means long cozy nights are back. I love the darker, more cozy, chilled nights in. I also love to spend dull, rainy Autumn days inside, under blankets, watching movies. This post is about my favourite movies to watch during this time of year.



Hocus Pocus (1993)
"After moving to Salem, teenager Max Dennison explores an abandoned house with his sister Dani  and new friend, Allison. After dismissing a story Allison tells, believing ity to be a bunch of hocus pocus, Max accidentally frees a coven of evil witches who used to live in the house. Now, with the help of a magical cat, the kids must stop them from becoming immortal."

Hocus Pocus is my absolute all time favourite Halloween themed movie. I love the storyline and cast and it definitely brings up all the autumnal feels. I used to spend the full month of October watching this film pretty much every night. (I probably still would if I still had the time to do so). I love it and I wish I had the words to fully explain just why and how much I love this film!

**************************

Casper (1995)
"Children's fantasy comedy in which a young girl befriends a ghost. Dr. James Harvey, a ghost therapist, has been hired by the greedy owner of Whipstaff Manor to exorcise the house of its spirits, including the friendly, but lonely, Casper  and his crazy uncles. While James' daughter Kat forms a friendship with Casper, his three uncles create havoc as they do everything in their power to prevent their eviction."

Casper was one of my favourite films when I was younger. We had it on video and whenever it was a rainy Autumn afternoon, I would always ask my mum to put it on for me. It has such a sweet storyline and I love the set designs within the movie, and the music. It's still one of my favourite movies for the Halloween season.

**************************

Beetlejuice (1988)
"After Barbara and Adam Maitland die in a car accident, they find themselves stuck haunting their country residence, unable to leave the house. When the unbearable Deetzes and their teen daughter Lydia (Winona Ryder) buy the home, the Maitlands attempt to scare them away without success. Their efforts attract Beetlejuice, a unruly spirit whose "help" quickly becomes dangerous for the Maitlands and innocent Lydia."

I remember the very first time I ever watched Beetlejuice, I had considered it to be the first "horror" movie I'd ever seen. Obviously it's not so much of a horror, more of a comedy-fantasy movie. But when I was younger, I considered most Tim Burton movies to be in the "horror" genre 😄. Nevertheless, I still loved this movie, and still do.

**************************

Edward Scissorhands (1990)
"A scientist builds a human being - the gentle Edward. However, the scientist dies before he can finish assembling Edward leaving the young man with a freakish appearance accentuated by the scissor blades he has instead of hands. Loving suburban saleswoman Peg discovers Edward and takes him home, where he falls for Peg's teen daughter. However, despite his kindness and artistic talent, Edward's hands make him an outcast."

This was another of Tim Burton's movies that I had considered a horror and had been frightened of when I was younger. At the heart of this movie is a beautifully tragic story of how society often treats those who are different. The good and not so good of humanity displayed in stark contrast. This movie was very well casted with fantastic sets and stunning visuals.

**************************

The Addams Family (1991)
"When long-lost Uncle Fester reappears after 25 years in the Bermuda Triangle, Gomez and Morticia plan a celebration to wake the dead. But Wednesday barely has time to warm up her electric chair before Thing points out Fester's uncommonly "normal" behavior. Could this Fester be a fake, part of an evil scheme to raid the Addams fortune?"


The Addams Family used to come on the TV almost every Halloween and I'd always watch it if i noticed it was on.I feel that it's such an underrated film though; the storyline is different and the family, despite appearing odd, are such a loving family. The casting was pretty much perfect in my opinion, all the actors suited their characters. Overall, it's just such a fun family film.

**************************

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
"Meek flower shop assistant Seymour pines for co-worker Audrey. He discovers an unusual plant he names Audrey II, which feeds only on human flesh and blood. The growing plant attracts a great deal of business for the previously struggling store. After Seymour feeds Audrey's boyfriend, Orin, to the plant after Orin's accidental death, he must come up with more bodies for the increasingly bloodthirsty plant."


As I mentioned in a previous post, the music from this film always reminds me of Autumn time since the very first time I ever saw anything to do with Little Shop of Horrors was when going to see a school show production of it. The weekend after I saw the school show version, I bought the DVD so that I could see what the movie version was like. Now its a film that I love to watch at some point during October. I also love that it's a horror musical! 

**************************

It (2017)
"Seven young outcasts in Derry, Maine, are about to face their worst nightmare - an ancient, shape-shifting evil that emerges from the sewer every 27 years to prey on the town's children. Banding together over the course of one horrifying summer, the friends must overcome their own personal fears to battle the murderous, bloodthirsty clown known as Pennywise."


I watched this for the first time not that long ago and loved it. I've never seen any of the other versions of this movie nor have I read the book (yet) so I couldn't compare this version of the film to any others. I personally loved it. I wasn't scared by it like I thought i was going to be from what other people had told me about the film, but i still enjoyed it nonetheless. I thought that the cast was brilliant and made some scenes funny. The cinematography is also stunning at times.

**************************

The Conjuring (2013)
"In 1970, paranormal investigators and demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren are summoned to the home of Carolyn and Roger Perron. The Perron's and their five daughters have recently moved into a secluded farmhouse, where a supernatural presence has made itself known. Though the manifestations are relatively benign at first, events soon escalate in horrifying fashion, especially after the Warrens discover the house's frightening history."

This is my favourite horror film and is probably still one of the scariest films I've ever seen. I still love to watch it and it's always my go to film for horror movie nights with friends. There's scares, suspense, tension, everything a good horror movie has. I also enjoy all of the other movies that came from the Conjuring universe. 


**************************

All the Harry Potter Movies (2001-2011)
Halloween wouldn't be Halloween without watching at least one of the Harry Potters. Of course I like to go all out and watch every single one of them. 😄

What are your favourite films for this time of year?

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts