Top 5: Books Read in 2022

My reading habits throughout 2022 were a bit scattered; some months I read a lot of books and others I was lucky to have finished one. My Goodreads reading goal for the year was 40 books and I ended the year having read 41 books in total! It was actually more than I had thought I was going to get through - especially on those months where I had been lucky enough to get through one book.

 I thought I'd share my top 5 reads from 2022 here on my blog.


1. I'm Glad My Mom Died - Jennette McCurdy
"A heartbreaking and hilarious memoir by iCarly and Sam & Cat star Jennette McCurdy about her struggles as a former child actor—including eating disorders, addiction, and a complicated relationship with her overbearing mother—and how she retook control of her life."
This was actually the last book I read in 2022 but it became my top favourite of the year. I, like many others, knew Jennette as Sam Puckett from the Nickelodeon show 'iCarly'. Growing up, iCarly was one of my favourite TV shows and one that I would watch most days before school. Jennette's character was my favourite in the show; she was funny, had good comebacks and was filled with personality. When I saw she was releasing a memoir, I really wanted to give it a read - especially after seeing excerpts of it online plus hearing of all the positive reviews across various social media sites. My brother got me the book for Christmas and I got started on reading it almost straight away on Christmas day. The book was real and raw and very eye-opening to the life of a child-star who never wanted to become a star in the first place. It was a very interesting, and at times, difficult read but I'm glad to have read it.

2. Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare
"The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organisation of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans."
I've had the Infernal Devices trilogy on my reading list for years now and I finally decided to read the first book near the start of 2022 and I loved it! Having read all of the Mortal Instruments series of books, I was already looking forward to reading the start of the Infernal Devices and I feel as though this trilogy may be even better than the Mortal Instruments (it's too soon to tell as of right now as I've only read the first book but still😄). I'm hoping to read the other two books this year so we'll see. 

3. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Jenkins Reid
"Reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now? Summoned to Evelyn's luxurious apartment, Monique listens in fascination as the actress tells her story."
I had been a little apprehensive of reading this book because it had been so raved about and I had worried that it had been overhyped or that I just wouldn't enjoy it but I needn't have worried. I really enjoyed the whole storyline and the setting. I enjoy watching old-timey Hollywood movies so to read a story set at that time from the point of view of an old-timey Hollywood actress was pretty cool and nothing like I'd read about before. I've got more Taylor Jenkins Reid books on my reading list so I'm hoping to read some of these in the new year. 

4. Girl Online - Zoe Sugg

"Penny has a secret. Under the alias GirlOnline, she blogs about school dramas, boys, her mad, whirlwind family - and the panic attacks she's suffered from lately. When things go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets the gorgeous, guitar-strumming Noah. Suddenly Penny is falling in love - and capturing every moment of it on her blog. But Noah has a secret too. One that threatens to ruin Penny's cover - and her closest friendship - forever."

This has been one of my guilty pleasure reads since I first read it back in 2014. It's such a fun, easy read and sometimes that's all you're looking for from a book. It was a nice lighthearted book and I read it at Christmas time too so it was perfect for that time of year (especially as it's set at Christmas too). Something I've realised as I've gotten older has been that sometimes when adult life starts to feel a little stressful, a book aimed at tweens can be a perfect little escape for a short while😄.

5. Charlotte's Web - E. B. White
"Some Pig. Humble. Radiant. These are the words in Charlotte's Web, high up in Zuckerman's barn. Charlotte's spiderweb tells of her feelings for a little pig named Wilbur, who simply wants a friend. They also express the love of a girl named Fern, who saved Wilbur's life when he was born the runt of his litter."
In my class I had this year, Charlotte's Web was one of the books I chose for my reading groups so I had to re-read it in order to plan some learning activities for the group. This was a book I had first read back when I was in primary school and I was so excited to share it with the children I was teaching because it had been a favourite book of mine when I was younger. Re-reading it this year - for the first time in years - made me remember just how much I loved this story and the characters within it. It really is such a lovely story. It's no wonder it's still popular now, over 70 years after it was first published!


What are some books you enjoyed reading in 2022?

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts