Movies To Watch This Christmas

I've done a blog post pretty much exactly like this last year but since you all know how much I love movies (and how much I enjoy making lists it seems😄), I thought I'd write up a slightly longer list of movies for this year. I absolutely love Christmas movies! I love when all the decorations are up so i can sit by the Christmas tree and put on all my favourite Christmas films, they always put me in the festive spirit. On with the list:




How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
"Live-action adaptation of the beloved children's tale by Dr. Seuss. On the outskirts of Whoville, there lives a green, revenge-seeking Grinch who plans on ruining the Christmas holiday for all of the citizens of the town. However, the bitter grump finds a hitch in his plans when he encounters the endearing Cindy Lou Who."

This is my all time absolute favourite Christmas film. I used to watch it every single day of December leading up to Christmas day. As a yearly tradition, my family and I get together on Christmas Eve to watch it while drinking hot chocolates. Every time I watch it, it always puts me straight into the festive mood. There's just so many warm, fuzzy memories attached to this film. I know every single word of it off by heart (which my granny always finds amusing and probably slightly concerning 😄). I wish I had the proper words to describe just how much I love this film. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you do!

*****************************

The Santa Clause (1994)
"Divorced dad Scott has custody of his son on Christmas Eve. After he accidentally causes a man in a Santa suit to fall off a roof, they are magically transported to the North Pole. An elf explains that Scott must take Santa's place before the next Christmas arrives. Scott thinks he's dreaming, but over the next several months he physically transforms into Santa Claus. Maybe that night at the North Pole wasn't a dream after all - and maybe Scott has a lot of work to do."

This is also one of my favourites to watch this time of year. I love all three of The Santa Clause movies and their storylines. I also love the cast. Tim Allen plays the part so brilliantly - the way he starts off by not believing in whats going on but is then slowly brought around to the fact that he is now Santa Claus by his young son Charlie. One Christmas, I watched all three of the Santa Clause films in the same day, one after the other! They always put me in the festive mood.

*****************************

Home Alone (1990)
"When 8-year-old Kevin McCallister acts out the night before a family trip to Paris, his mother makes him sleep in the attic. After the McCallisters mistakenly leave for the airport without Kevin, he awakens to an empty house and assumes his wish to have no family has come true. But his excitement sours when he realizes that two con men plan to rob the McCallister residence, and that he alone must protect the family home."

I love all of the Home Alone movies (especially the first and second). I used to always watch this movie during the month of November because although it's a Christmas film, I always saw it as a pre-Christmas film since it used to come on the TV at other times during the year (smart logic, I know😄). I would always watch it before any proper Christmas festivities began and it would always put me in the holiday spirit, full of excitement for all things Christmas to begin!

*****************************


Elf (2004)
"Buddy was accidentally transported to the North pole as a toddler and raised among Santa's elves. Unable to shake the feeling that he doesn't fit in, Buddy travels to New York in search of his real father. As it happens, this is Walter Hobbs, a cynical businessman. After a DNA test proves this, Walter reluctantly attempts to start a relationship with the childlike Buddy with increasingly chaotic results."

This is my mum's favourite Christmas film. I love it too because I feel like I'm a lot like the main character Buddy at Christmas time, all excited and excitable around this time of year😄 Elf is such a perfect film for this time of year and will probably definitely put you in a Christmassy mood after watching it.

*****************************

Deck The Halls (2006)
"Steve, suburban dad and Christmas enthusiast, finds a wrinkle in his well-ordered existence with the arrival of his new neighbour Buddy. Buddy has big dreams and plans to illuminate his house with enough holiday lights to make it visible from space. Not to be outdone, Steve declares a war of one-upmanship with Buddy that threatens to drag the Christmas spirit through the slush."

When I get my own house, I'll definitely be trying to put up as many Christmas lights outside as possible just like the main Characters of this film! How cool would it be to actually be able to see your home from outer space because of how many Christmas lights you put up😄 

*****************************

Fred Claus (2007)
"Of the two Claus brothers, Fred is the troublemaker and polar opposite of his saintly sibling, Nicholas. When Fred's criminal ways finally land him in big trouble, Nicholas bails him out and brings him to the North Pole to work off the debt by making toys. The headaches mount for St. Nick, who not only must deal with his troublemaking brother, but also an efficiency expert who has come to evaluate Santa's operation."

I really like the storyline for this movie and how it focuses more on Santa's brother rather than another movie focused on Santa Claus. 

*****************************

Arthur Christmas (2011)
"Everyone knows that, each Christmas, Santa Claus delivers presents to every last child on Earth. What everyone doesn't know is that Santa accomplishes the feat with a very high-tech operation beneath the North Pole. But when the unthinkable happens, and Santa misses one child out of hundreds of millions, someone has to save the day. It's up to Arthur, Santa's youngest son, to deliver a present before Christmas morning dawns."

I only watched this film for the first time last year and I thought it was great! Lots of people had recommended this film to me but for some reason I kept putting it off. Obviously I'm now wishing I had seen it a few years back. I loved the storyline and the fact that it's animated.

*****************************

Mrs Miracle (2009)
"A widowed father of six-year-old twins struggles to cope with his family responsibilities. His life is then transformed by the arrival of a kindly housekeeper, who demonstrates miraculous skills around the house and dispenses sound advice on affairs of the heart."

This is such a lovely little Christmas film. I also love Doris Roberts and always thought that she was the perfect choice to play Mrs Merkle. This movie always comes on channel 5 here - this channel plays tons of hallmark-type Christmas movies throughout the whole month of December which I love!

*****************************

The Polar Express (2004)
"On Christmas Eve, a doubting young boy takes an extraordinary magical train ride to the North Pole, he embarks on a journey of self-discovery that shows him that the wonder of life never fades for those who believe."

I used to have mixed opinions about this movie - sometimes I would like it but then other times I wasn't so sure about it. One year, my friends and I got together to have a Christmas movie night in and this was one of the movies we watched first and just something about watching it with friends, sitting in our Christmassy pj's and drinking hot chocolates, feeling all festive and excited for Christmas, really made me enjoy the film a whole lot more.

*****************************

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
"The muppet version of the classic Dicken's tale of an old and bitter miser's redemption on Christmas Eve.

This film used to always come on the TV every Christmas Eve. I loved the muppets and all their movies when I was younger but their Christmas Carol was my favourite of their movies. Every time I watch it, it always makes me feel Christmassy.

*****************************





I've also got a quite a few movies that I want to watch this year which include:
'The Christmas Chronicles', 'The Princess Switch' and 'The Holiday Calendar' - all of which are on Netflix. 
I also want to watch 'Miracle on 34th Street' and 'It's a Wonderful Life' - two Christmas classics that I've never seen before!

What are your favourite films to watch during this time of year?

Bye for now, xo




Comments

Popular Posts