Top 5: Songs You Should Listen To In Your Lifetime

One of my favourite things to do is listen to my dad talk about all the music he used to listen to growing up / throughout his earlier years, and also showing me old music videos. A little while ago he listed off five different songs and said “these are five songs that you should listen to in your lifetime”.  That got me thinking about the five songs I’d recommend people listen to so I thought I’d make a list here on my blog. 



Before I begin the list, I’d just like to mention that I’m terrible when it comes to describing songs (or describing anything really😄) but I really tried to put into words the reasons why these songs are on my list. 

These are the five songs that I think you should listen to in your lifetime (in no particular order):

  1. Estranged - Guns N’ Roses
I love Guns N’ Roses. Their album ‘Appetite For Destruction’ is one of my all time favourite rock albums. ‘Estranged’ is a song that appears on the album ‘Use Your Illusion II’. The song is a power ballad and is, in my opinion, one of their most personal songs, especially for the lead singer Axl Rose. The guitar solos are also amazing because I really felt that the guitarist, Slash, was able to really capture the feel and mood of the song. The song almost moves in parts and changes throughout. I also love the lyrics. 


  1. Don’t Dream it’s Over - Crowded House 
This is my favourite Crowded House song because of the lyrics and the melody. In my opinion, this song is like a kind of metaphor for life in that there is the good times, the not so good, obstacles and overcoming those obstacles. I feel that mainly this is a song about staying optimistic and positive. This song was also covered by Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande as part of Miley’s Happy Hippie Foundation: Backyard Sessions and the pair sung it again at the One Love Manchester concert which I thought was perfect. Overall, this is a really beautiful song and is definitely worth listening to. 


  1. Don’t You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds
I first heard this song when it appeared at the end of the movie The Breakfast Club(which is also one of my all time favourite movies).  The song and it’s lyrics really fit in well with what the whole movie is about as well as bringing up images of the classic end scene of the movie where Bender (Judd Nelson) raises his fist in the air. The song was written for the movie, but taking the song away from the movie, it is in itself a brilliant song with a deeper meaning behind it of restrictions due to socially constructed social conventions. It’s a fairly iconic 80s song. 


  1. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
This song features of Pink Floyd’s concept album ‘The Wall’. The full album was deeply personal to the band members, Roger Waters in particular, and dealt with many themes including isolation and mental health which is all symbolised by a wall. Many people have believed that ‘Comfortably Numb’ was about drug use, when in fact it was actually about mental health and how that can make you feel at times. David Gilmour‘s guitar solos in this song are truly amazing and are filled with so much emotion and passion that work so well within the song. I know that Pink Floyd’s music isn’t really everyone’s taste but they have a special place in my heart, especially this song, which is why it’s on this list. 


  1. Livin’ On A Prayer - Bon Jovi
I’m pretty sure this is a song that most people will have heard at least once in their lifetime, but I wanted to add it to the list anyway because it truly is one of the most feel-good songs out there. One of the best feelings in the world, I find, is belting out this song with all your best friends on the dance floor. (If you’ve ever watched The Goldbergs - think of that episode where Barry threw the house party and that song was playing and how everyone was singing their heart out and dancing. It’s just like that in real life whenever that song comes on). Seriously, it’s amazing. It’s one of those songs that everyone seems to know the words to and it makes everyone want to sing and dance along to it. 


This list was a lot harder to make than I had thought!😄 It was so hard to pick only five songs when there’s so many more amazing songs out there.

What are the top five songs you would recommend that people should listen to in their lifetime?

Bye for now, xo

Comments

Popular Posts