Favourite 80s Movies

As I mentioned briefly in this blog post, I am a huge lover of the 80s (mostly in regards to music and film) so I thought I’d make a blog post on a few of my favourite movies from the 80s. Let me know your thoughts on them!



  • Back to the Future  (1985)
The film is based around Marty McFly, a high school student, who is accidentally sent thirty years into the past in a time-traveling DeLorean invented by his close friend, a scientist named Doc Brown. I feel like most people will watch this at least some point during their lifetime. It’s such a great, feel-good film. I love that the second film is set in 2015 yet the movie was made in the 80s. I loved seeing how many things the movie managed to predict of the future. I am a little sad that the second Back to the Future movie is now technically a movie set in the past rather than the future!

  • The Lost Boys  (1987)
The movie is about two brothers who move, with their mother, to a small town only to discover that this particular town is full of vampires. In the 80s this movie was considered ahead of its time but it still had the genuine look and feel of the 80s and it has a fantastic soundtrack was songs such as ‘People Are Strange’ by Echo & The Bunnymen, ‘Lost In The Shadows’ by Lou Gramm and ‘Cry, Little Sister’ by Gerard McMann which was the main theme of the movie.  This movie is definitely my favourite vampire movie. The visual effects, for the time, are so good and the casting was pretty much on point. Overall, I just love watching it! It’s a comedy-horror that I find to be more on the comedy side which I love. 

  • The Goonies  (1985)
 This movie focuses on a group of misfit friends who, in order to save their house, set out to find a pirates treasure. This is possibly one of the most heard of 80s films today. I love the whole adventure aspect of the movie and the goonies themselves. This movie was always so much fun to watch when I was younger and I still love watching it now; it brings back all the nostalgic memories of when I was little watching it and chanting along with the words. I loved all the characters in The Goonies and felt it was all brilliant casting, but my favourite character was definitely Chunk! FIRST YOU GOTTA DO THE TRUFFLE SHUFFLE! 

  • Ferris Bueller’s Day Off  (1986)
This movie is basically about a high school teen who was so determined to have a day off school that be faked being ill and ended up having one of the most memorable days ever. This was another film directed by John Hughes. I think the main reason this film became so popular was because it was the story-line was based on something that practically everyone wanted to do at one point or another (I mean who hasn’t wanted to just take a day off school/uni/work???) All throughout the movie it makes fun of how boring and tedious actually being in a high school class can be. This movie has many relatable themes and is overall just a fun, easy movie to watch. 


  • The Breakfast club  (1985)
The Breakfast Club is possibly my number one favourite 80s movie (actually it could be a tie with Back to the Future...). The Breakfast Club is about 5 random people with completely different personalities who meet in detention and eventually realise that they have a lot more in common than they realised. This film is directed by John Hughes, who was a huge director throughout the 80s. I love the character development throughout this film; how they all change in one way or another and become much more three dimensional as characters. I feel this film is still relatable in this day and age and it has some really good messages throughout. Plus the soundtrack is also brilliant; it gave us the song ‘Don’t You (Forget About Me)’ by Simple Minds. 





Notable mentions
  • St Elmo’s Fire
  • Top Gun
  • Ghostbusters
  • E.T. the Extra Terrestrial 
  • Beetlejuice 
  • Footloose

Do you have any favourite 80s movies?



Bye for now, xo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts